The Chesapeake Environmental Improvement Council (CEIC) publishes their Newsletter "Heron Chronicle" each quarter. They have some new information on the Chesapeake Recycling Program that will change in July 2022. To read a pdf of the Spring 2022 Issue click here.
This is the latest information as of June 2022 on Chesapeake's current recycling options. Below is a quick summary of the available options:
There will be 7 recycling sites opening to the community starting July 1, 2022:
1. Russell Memorial Library – 2808 Taylor Rd
2. Chesapeake Central Library / Municipal Center – 298 Cedar Road (East Parking Lot between Albemarle Drive and Library)
3. Indian River Library – 2320 Old Greenbrier Road (Old Greenbrier Road and Providence Road)
4. Department of Human Services – 100 Outlaw Street (Outlaw Street and Bainbridge Blvd)
5. Toll Plaza Road – Cul-de-sac at 168 Toll Plaza Road (Chesapeake Expressway Administration Building)
6. Chesapeake City Park – 900 City Park Drive
7. Deep Creek Park – 437 George Washington Highway South
The following link provides details of what can be recycled at the above centers:
SUBSCRIPTION BASED COLLECTION:
Currently there are 2 providers:
*Recyclops will recycle glass for an additional monthly fee.
2. Happy Planet Recycling
What about the BLUE bins?
Residents are encouraged to keep their blue bins to allow for additional trash capacity. However, residents who do not wish to retain the blue bin may contact the City beginning July 1 at 757-382-2489 to request it’s collection. Note that residents who voluntarily surrender their blue bin(s) acknowledge that should they require an additional bin in the future, they must purchase it by contacting the Treasurer’s Office. Additionally, no refunds will be provided for voluntarily surrendered bins that were purchased by residents.